This is Part 5 of a 6-Essay Series on using Qi Gong to more clearly see what is holding us back. Link to all the essays from the end of this post.
In the prior 4 essays we shared all the benefits of identifying and removing your limiting beliefs. This begs the obvious question:
If replacing limiting beliefs is so achievable and beneficial, why are so many people struggling?
Knowledge about how limiting beliefs negatively impact our lives is finally reaching the masses. Most of the initial work was done by psychologists helping their patients and the positive results were soon adopted by many people trying to improve their lives. When new research is adopted by the general public, there are a few people who radically improve their lives while many don’t achieve the same results. What is the difference? There are three main reasons why the majority of people still let a negative belief system get in the way of their amazing potential and countless opportunities.
1. The Focus is on the Past
Much of what we understand about limiting beliefs comes out of the field of psychology. With it comes a heavy reliance on uncovering childhood or past traumas to understand why we believe what we do. The idea is that if we can understand when and why the belief began, we can change it. This is true in some cases, but there are some problems with this strategy.
- It happened in the past. What can we actually do about it? Yes, having knowledge about why you believe the things you can be really helpful in understanding why you feel the way you do. But it doesn’t really give us a roadmap for how to proceed to improve how we react to events in the PRESENT.
- What if we are wrong? The past means “the past” and our memories and others’ memories really aren’t that accurate.
- It can demonize people who love us. Parenting is tough! This isn’t an excuse for abusive parenting, but our parents probably made the best decisions they could with what they knew at the time. Many things we remember as mean or scary were events that were intended to protect us. We may have been traumatized but may not understand the real reason why things happened. Again, whether it is true or not true, we want to address it with the goal of improving our outlook TODAY.
- It keeps us looking in the rearview mirror, not the present or future. The past is only one-of-three sources for our beliefs. If we only focus on the past, we miss what is happening today or what we believe about what is coming tomorrow.
Keep reading because soon we will share not one but SEVEN things that influence what we believe.
2. Beliefs Are Demonized
All of the beliefs we have or had serve a very important purpose, usually to protect us and keep us safe. There is no such thing as a bad belief, only one we no longer need and have to work to replace.
3. Popular Resources on Limiting Beliefs are Too Broad
Really well-intentioned resources want to share successes they have seen with limiting beliefs but they don’t take into account how complex we are as people. They broadly ask us to uncover limiting beliefs about who we are as a whole. There is one major problem and one major lost opportunity with this line of thinking:
The Problem: If we think about our limiting belief in a generally way – “I am not smart,” then we attach it to our SELF, who we are at the core. This is really hard to get rid of because it almost seems like a personality trait. We are complex people and the truth is that you may have great self-esteem at work and terrible self-esteem at social gatherings. You may be highly educated but feel dumb when it comes to nutrition. The subconscious mind is very difficult to pin down if we don’t specifically identify where in our life our limiting belief is being disruptive.
The Lost Opportunity: If we qualify WHERE exactly our limiting belief is affecting us, we can take examples from the rest of our life to prove our limiting belief wrong and immediately jump past it. Back to our example: “I am not smart enough” becomes “I am not smart enough at making money.” Which means, I am probably smart at things like my job or fitness and nutrition. So, it is not a ME issue or a SMARTNESS issue it is a LEARNING issue. We can fix that.
This is what we are inviting you to experience. Without limiting beliefs standing in your way, experiencing your true potential becomes completely doable. The next and last essay will highlight some ways to do it.
Qi Gong and Limiting Beliefs
If you are interested in learning Qi Gong but don’t know where to begin or don’t have high level instruction in your area, we have great news for you: The Good Morning – Good Evening Qi Gong Set is high-level training that is accessible to anyone-anywhere. Click on the link to check out the course and, read more about why we think this is some of the best Qi Gong Training available in the West.